Oge House

Location: 209 Washington St., San Antonio, TX

One of early stone residences of San Antonio. First floor and basement were built as early as 1857 when place was owned by Attorney Newton A. Mitchell and wife Catherine (Elder).

Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating (1845) to Texas with the Castor Colony, serving in Texas Rangers under W.A.A. ("Bigfoot") Wallace, and making a fortune as a rancher. He was a San Antonio business leader and served as Alderman and school board president. He had leading architect Alfred Giles enlarge and remodel the house in Neo-Classical style.