San Antonio High School

Location: 637 N. Main Ave, San Antonio, TX

The first public secondary school in the city, San Antonio High School opened in September 1879 with one teacher, F.M. Halbedl. Classes were initially held in the Fireman's Hall on Broadway. Following several moves, a school building was constructed at this site in 1882 on land owned by the city. The first graduates, three girls, received their diplomas in February of that year. In 1917 the name was changed to Main Avenue High School because of the projected district growth and the addition of new secondary schools. Reflecting district emphasis on vocational training, it became the San Antonio Vocational and Technical High School in 1932. The name was changed in 1961 to honor Louis W. Fox (d. 1978) who served as principal, 1934-1942. A pioneer in Texas Vocational Education programs, fox helped develop the Technical training curriculum for the school and the district. This Historic school has one of the three oldest student government organizations in the state and an Alumni Association formed in 1892. An annual football game against Lanier High School, called the "chili bowl", has been held since 1940.