The Evening Light

Wednesday January 4, 1882


Van Ness Wells, charged with horse stealing, was acquitted by a verdict of a jury in the district court this morning. The accused was defended by Bryan Callaghan, Esq.

Fatal Accident.

A young man named John Smalley, living on the Medina, near Garza's crossing, killed himself yesterday morning by the accidental discharge of a shotgun. The load took effect in his head, and death was almost instantaneous. Justice Quintana held an inquest on the remains.

A Wedding in the Country.

The marriage of Mr. Ira R. Hewitt and Miss Charlotte Jones

In these days of fashionable weddings an old fashioned affair is quite refreshing. The fashionable wedding consists of a rush to the church, bridesmaids, etc., a rush to the railroad depot, a trip to some distant seaport, and that is all. It ought to be called the sky-rocket process of getting married.

The event we are about to record is one of the old fashioned type.

On the 2d inst., Ira R. Hewitt and Miss Charlotte Jones were married, at the residence of the bride's mother, on the Medina. Fahter Johnson, pastor of St. Mary's cathedral officiating.

Being an invited guest, we took the 8 o'clock morning train, bound for Laredo. In thirty minutes the train has crossed the Medina, and we were allowed to get out, near the water tank, there being no station house, or even a platform to land on. A vehicle was in waiting for guests, and we were driven along a pleasant road of about a mile, when we reached the Jones mansion, and were soon received with the warmest hospitality, and made at home; a cup of hot coffee being administered as a stimulent after the trip from the city.

Already a number of guests had arrived, and the spacious mansion rang with the shouts of children and the merry greeting of friends, but the bulk of the guests were to arrive from the city, in carriages, so that we had an hour or two to pass away.

The Jones Mansion.

The Jones mansion was built by Mr. Enoch Jones before the rebellion, as a family residence, and we doubt that there is a building in our city to-day that compares with it in its substantial character and convenience. It is a two-story, square building, with a half basement story; it contains fourteen large rooms, and three wide halls, facing to the south, with galleries running the full length of the building. The stone used in the building is a blue grayish sandstone, almost equal to granite - certainly superior to any limestone used in our city. So substantial is the work, that after twenty years no crack or flaw is found in the walls.

Mr. Jones was a gentleman of wealth, and possessed excellent taste. He built the mansion for the enjoyment of his family, and if his disembodied spirit hovers over the scene of his former labors, the old home, with its cheerful fces and the happy event, must have appeared like an earthly paradise yesterday. An immense cistern catches the water from the roof, for the use of the family, and a drain takes from the premises all slops and refuse material. The mansion stands upon a natural plateau, commanding a magnificent sweep of country. The bright murmuring Medina meanders at the foot of this plateau, and standing on the galleries you have a view of woods, of valley and of distant hills, which even in winter's nakedness is entrancingly lovely. The line of the two railroads, INternational and Sunset, are discernable less than a mile away.

Mr. Jones had a large flock of sheep here twenty years ago, and the massive stables, sheds, stone walls, attest the permanency of the improvements made. Such is the Jones mansion, which ws the scene of the happy event of the marriage of Miss Charlotte Jones and Mr. Ira R. Hewitt.

Arrival of Guests.

At last a string of carriages and buggies drove up the hill and to the front of the mansion, and Father Johnson, the officiating priest, was among the arrivals. As each person came up the broad stone steps they were greeted with kisses and handshakings - they were all old friends.

The Ceremony.

At last the ceremony was announced, and the bride and groom, accompanied by their parents, the two widows, (Mrs. Hewitt and Mrs. Jones), and the other members of the respective families, filed into the large, double parlor and were ranged in front of Father Johnson, who proceeded to unite the couple in the most approved manner. Father Johnson has but recently recovered from a severe illness, and his voice betrayed a nervousness which might have been attributed to embarrassment, but the ceremony was soon over, and then came the congratulations of the company present, some sixty persons, young and old.

The Bride.

Mrs. Hewitt, is petite in person, with a pleasant, sensible face, and as he faced the august presence of the priest, she wore a pleasant smile that spoke the firm and resolute spirit of a girl that knew what she was about, that her cjoice was wisely made, and that no regret lingered in the background to haunt or disturb her happiness. She was elegantly attired, her dress being a white satin, elaborately shirred, trimmed with Spanish lace, and ornamented with pearl ornaments, a wreath of orange blossoms, diamond pin and earrings. She looked every inch a bride.

The Groom.

Of course the groom is of little consequence generally, but Mr. Hewitt deserves some mention, being a young gentleman whose standing with the business community is excellent, and whose modest, gentelmanly bearing has won for him a host of friends. Mr. H. comes of one of the oldest and best families of our city and by the union just effected, two old and respected families are more firmly united.

The Presents.

Of course the presents are not to be forgotten, but we will not attempt to give them in detail; they were quite numerous, some were quite elegant and costly, and all were sensible and of utility. A set of bed-room furniture, several sets of solid silverware, diamond earrings, silver pitchers, etc., sufficient to gratify the curiousity of any one, and even to excite the envy of the envious.

The Dinner.

Now we come to a very enchanting part of the programme, the dinner. At the announcement the guest;s filed down the stairs to the spacious dining room where two tables most artistically decorated and literally ladened with good cheer greeted them. It was no simple fancy affair, but substantial and elegant, - turkey, kid, pig, chicken salads, jellies, mountains of cake, fruit, etc., with floral decorations; - the hand of an artist was seen in every apartment, of the feast which was heartily partaken of.

The Guests.

Among the guests present we may note, Mr. McNewton and wife, and Miss Annie Newton, Mr. H. B. Adams, Mrs. Alex Muncy and Mrs. Muncy, Jno M. Smith and wife of Pleasanton, Judge W. H. Smith and wife of Atascosa, Mrs. O. Evans, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Gleason, Mrs. Harshaw, Miss Seibert, Mr. Alex Cass, and wife, Mrs. Hewitt and the two MIss Hewitts, Miss Kate Carolan, MIss Ella Harshaw, Mr. W. S. Pleasant, Miss Cass, Mr. S. G. Newton, Esq., and wife, Mrs. H. B. Adams, and members of the respective families, amounting to a very pleasant company of friends, who had gathered to see the young cuple embark on the pleasant voyage of married life.

The Dinner Over.

The guests began to prepare to return to their homes. The weather was as pleasant a spring, and the day passed like a bright vision over the earth.

The newly married couple came to the city where they will reside, at the residence of Mr. Hewitt's mother. May their days be many, and their happiness even and unbroken, is the wish of a friend.

WANTED - Two girls or women, or a man and woman to cook and do laundry and house work. Inquire at Dr. Slocum's residence

NEW FOUNDLAND DOGS for sale, Mrs. Geiser, 224 Villita street.

For Rent

Mrs. Mary C. Paschal's homestead, near the bridge, in upper San Antonio. Also furnished room cheap. Inquire of Mrs. M. C. Paschal


We are authorized to announce W. R. Story as a candidate for alderman in Ward No. 2, at the coming election.

The Evening Light - Saturday January 7, 1882

A license has been issued for the marriage of J. W. Crowder and Alice D. Scott.

Two men named Harrison and McGovern, are already in jail for being drunk. Rather early to commence such business.

Mr. Bader tells us that his son is so far recovered as to be able to attend school, but he is somewhat lame, and the major part of the shot remains in his body.

Building Permits

The following permits were issued this morning:

L. J. Kelley, lumber dwelling, south side Burleson street.

C. J. D. Beck, wood shed, northwest corner Frio and Morales streets.

C. C. Cresson, lumber stable, northwest corner Madison and Lee street.

Captain Penaloza's Birth-day.

Captain Joe Penaloza gave a dinner in honor of his 48th birthday anniversary on yesterday, to which he invited a few particular friends. The dinner was called a "Mexican dinner," each dish bearing a name well known to epicurians who have had the good fortune of tasting genuine, artistic Mexican cooking. So sumptous and delicious were the dishes that a splendid roast turkey was not even called for. The dinner was washed down with wine and a fuller set of uests never rose from so hospitable a board before. So well disguised were the dishes that a Jewish gentleman ate roasted pork with great relish. With one accord, the guests drank a toast for many returns of the day.

Funeral of Dr. John Herff.

The reporter of the LIGHT visited the house of the deceased prior to the funeral and on arrival found a large company assembled outside. Wending our way through the crowd, we came to the front room, wherein the body lay. The apartment had been tastefully decorated by loving hands. At the windows were alternately white and black curtains, the book case was draped with black and white; the sofa had a white cover, decorated with black valance; the mantelpiece was also draped with black, and the fireplace was concealed with a black board, having white flowers in the corner and a wreath of the same color. Flowers, wreaths, and various green ornaments were also spread around. In the centre, supported upon ornamental pedestals, lay the coffin in which the body was enclosed. It was a patent metal coffin, ornamented with silver fittings, was very handsome and was covered with flowers, - the tributes of friends. the lid was open-faced, and, as we passed by, we saw the face of our dead friend; and, except that his features were set, it looked as though he lay calmly asleep in his snowy bed. By his side sat the bereaved widow in her agonizing grief, and near her was the father, evidently in deep sorrow. Around the room we noticed many of the relatives of the dead. Shortly before the body was removed all were excluded, and then the wife took a sad farewell of her loved one. This done, her father gently drew her from the room, which she left reluctantly. The other relatives took their last look at the dead, and Mr. Roemer proceeded to screw down the lid. Bishop Elliott then entered the room in full canonicles and read the greater part of the funeral service, after which eight relatives and friends bore the body to the handsome hearse provided for its reception. The visitors then dispersed, some getting in their several carriages, others going on foot, on to the cemetery or to their various duties. The mournful cortege passed on to the cemetery, where Bishop Elliott read the remaining part of the service. The coffin was then lowered, flowers were dropped o the grave, friends took their last look into the grave, and then in silent sorrow passed to their several homes, leaving their dead alone with God.

The attendance both at the house and at the grave was very large.

The family of Herff and Kampmann, who are most affected by this sad loss are known and respected by the entire city, and universal sympathy is expressed for them. The LIGHT offers to them their sincere condolence in their sad bereavement.

Dr. Cupples, at the grave side, delivered a very able and pathetic peroration on the deceased. He spoke of his genial nature and his general ability. He told how universally he was loved, how much appreciated, and alluded touchingly to the bereavement his family had sustained.

Recorder's Court

Before the Hon. M. G. Anderson, Recorder.

City vs. John Hurley, vagrancy; fined $10 or 20 days.

City vs. Joe. Robinson, vagrancy; fined $5 or 10 days.

Wedding Bells.

The following licenses were issued by the county clerk, during the week, for the marriage of:

Ira D. Hewitt to Charlotte Jones

J. J. Malloy to Mattie Bennett

Richard A. Holland to Florence E. Harrison

Manuel Flores to Delfine Ochoa

J. W. Crowder to Alice D. Scott


Lieutenant Governor Storey is quartered at Hord's.

Dr. J. L. Powell has returned to duty at Fort Stockton.

Mr. J. T. Woolf, of Lavernia, has arrived in the city on business.

Mr. J. L. White, clerk of the court of appeals, is now in the city.

Miss Eugenia Sample, of Calvert, is the guest of Mr. W. H. Dodson.


We are authorized to announce W. R. Story as a candidate for alderman in Ward No. 2 at the coming election.

We are authorized to announce Mr. Eli Arnaud as a candidate for alderman in the 1st ward.

We are authorized to announce J. F. Minter as a candidate for alderman, from the third ward.

San Antonio, January 6th, 1882

Editors Evening Light:

In response to solicitations of friends, please announce me as candidate for alderman in ward No. 1.

Joseph F. Dwyer.

The Evening Light - Monday January 9, 1882

Wash Bright was arrested on Saturday for horse stealing and is now jailed.

The remains of Dr. John Herff lie in the lot of Major Kampmann, his father-in-law, in the Masonic Cemetery.

The following licenses were issued on Saturday afternoon for the marriage of:

Michael Twohig and Mary Cannon

Gabriel de los Santos and Josefa Torres.

Some idea of the extent of Dr. John Herff's funeral may be gathered from the fact that, although the carriages were following in the usual processional order, the last carriage had not left the deceased's house when the hearse arrived at the Masonic cemetery.

The funeral of Dr. John Herff had the largest attendance of any funeral of the city, excepting that of the late Mr. Menger. One hundred and sixty-three carriages followed Dr. Herff's remains, whereas one hundred and seventy-one vehicles followed the remains of Mr. Menger.

The Case of B. Studer.

For the past two days the district court has been engaged in the trial for murder of B. Studer, accused of murdering his son. It will be remembered that about Christmas, 1880, Mr. Studer and his son disagreed on account of the latter's determination to marry Miss Weyel, and the night of the cirme words had passed between the two. The son went to the house of Mr. Bitter, and was there when his father came, asked for him and pressed him into the gallery. Both men were then armed with pistols and two shots were heard soon after. Subsequently the son was found injured, and he died in about a fortnight after. Threats were proved against the father and the prosecution urged that the prisoner killed his son. On the other hand the defense pleaded that the son fired the first shot at the father, and that the father fired afterward in self defense. The jury retired on Saturday and were discharged this morning, being unable to agree, but it is understood that eight were in favor of acquittal and four for conviction.


I hereby thank my attorneys, Howard and Harrison, for their services rendered in my case by them in the district court on the 6th and 7th of this month, and for the noble defence they have made in my behalf?

Mr. Howard never showed his face in court until the case was about to be closed, and Mr. Harrison, in whom I placed confidence to defend me, did not have sufficient room in the court room to defend me proper?

Bu the firm of Howard & Harrison had the room in their pockets for my money I paid them? I am in possession of a contract and a number of receipts signed by them.

Had it not been that Judge M. G. Anderson appeared in court ( a little too late,) I would have been tried without a counsel. I had about ten minutes to consult with him, and he, Judge Anderson, took the case and made a noble defence, considering the way he got the case.

B. Studer.

Death's Doings.

The following deaths are announced.

Ward I, 7th inst. - Pedro Sanches, Mexican, aged 45 years; consumption.

Ward I, 8th inst. - Miguel Chavez, aged 58 years, Texan; congestion of the bowels and stomach.

The Commissioner's Court.

The county commissioners met this morning, at the court house, when the sheriff's county attorney's, justice's and constables' reports were read and approved.

Several accounts were examined and passed for payment.

A resolution was passed allowing pauper Isabel Martin the sum of five dollars monthly, until further notice.

Use of Pistols by the Police.

The shooting of the negro Smith by Policeman Martinez, should bring to public attention the danger of arming the police; - a pistol in the hands of a policeman is as dangerous as in the hands of a cow boy, - perhaps more so. Martinez, thought because he was a policeman he had a right to shoot down a flying thief, and yet, had he killed his victim, he would have been guilty of murder and been entitled to the honor of pulling hemp at the public expense; as it is, he will be subject to a charge of assault with intent to murder.

A policeman has no greater right to use his pistol upon a fellow-man than any other person has. He must only use it in self-defense, and then strictly under the conditions of any other unofficial person; in making an arrest the policeman is the aggressor and should be careful to only use more force necessary to perform his duty.

The only excuse for sheriffs and other officers carryig deadly weapons, is that they may possibly encounter desperate men, who carry arms and would resist peaceable arrest.

Death of an Eccentric Stranger.

A stranger by the name of John Terry, 29 years, died at the sister's hospital last night. This young man came here some weeks ago in the last stages of consumption and put up at the Braden hotel. The hotel people finally insisted upon his going to the hospital, as he claimed to be in straightened circumstances and would not have a doctor. He was removed to the hospital about three weeks since, and died as was stated last evening. He made several statements about his affairs, but insisted uon the city paying his bills; he also refused to tell of the whereabouts of his friends. Upon examining his effects since his death, the sisters report that $500 was found on his person, and eposit checks to the amount of several thousand dollars - also that by letters found the Mother Superior has been enabled to telegraph to the father of the deceased.

Further particulars about the man who died at the hospital disclose that his name was Jno. W. Terry, that in dressing him for burial, a wad of greenbacks was found concealed on his person, amounting to $450, and a check on the Emporia National Bank, Kansas, for $3,860, a deposit check for $2,000 on the San Antonio National Bank, and on Lockwood & Kampmann for $3,000; in all $9,310, yet he was in rags, and asked the city physician to have his prescription filled by the city.

Personal. Judge Paschal of Castroville, is in the city.

Major Moore of the Capote farm, is again here.

Mr. H. Schofield, has arrived from St. Petersburg.

Dr. Mills of Pleasanton, arrived in the city on Sunday.

Mr. E. R. Lane, of Goliad, has arrived at Hord's hotel.

Mr. H. T. Debartleben, the coal king, is again in our city.

The Hon. John Irland, of Seguin, is passing through the city.

Colonel Oglesby, of the state troops, is again in our city.

Colonel Zanderson, the well-known wool buyer, has returned.

Mr. John T. Lytle, the cattle king, is a guest at Hord's hotel.

Mr. N. R. Maxwell, Sunset contractor, is staying at the Menger.

Sergeant Rudd, of the state troops', is confined to his bed by fever.

Capt. Ricker, of the firm of Ricker & Lee, contractors, is in the city.

Mr. B. A. Sheidley, stock man, of Kansas City, is at the Menger hotel.

Mr. W. R. Wallace, attorney, of Castroville, is quartered at the Central hotel.

Mr. John A. and Mrs. Green, of Austin, are registred at the Vance hotel.

J. B. Bowman, a prominent capitalist from Kentucky, is quartered at Hord's.

The Evangeline troupe arrived in the city yesterday, and are ready for business.

Capt. N. W. Hunter, right-of-way agent of the I. & G. N., is doing business in the city.

Mr. G. W. Angle, of the I. & G. N. railroad, passed through the city to-day for Laredo.

Mr. E. W. Springall, engineer, left this morning for Devil's river, to take part in the extension work there.

Mr. W. G. Hughes, of Kendall County, is in the city. He reports the sheep interests in his county in a flourishing condition.

Mr. Moritz Rossy, one of San Antonio's honored sons, has returned to his old home after an absence of nearly one year.

Don Ruperto Regulado and his wife, who are well known at Lampasas, are visiting the city and are staying at the county clerk's residence.

Mr. G. D. Roemer left for Sherman yesterday as a deputy from the Milam Lodge No. 2, A. O. U. W., to the Grand Lodge, which meets at Sherman, Texas.

Mr. John M. Bullock and A. T. Stephens, two lively eastern railroad gentlemen, with headquarters at Dallas, are in the city for a day or two, stopping at the Hord.

Mr. A. R. Masterson, one of Houston's prominent attorneys, has located in western Texas. ON account of failing health, he has abandoned his profession, and will embark in the sheep business.

Mr. Shelton Sturgess, the well known banker of Chicago, has arrived in the city, accompanied by his family. His daughter will remain in the city during the winter for the benefit of her health.

Mr. Charles Mathews, repr4senting the firm of W. S. Mathews & Sons, tobacco merchants, and Mathews Leaf Tobacco Extract Co., of Louisville Ky., is in the Alamo city, in interst of his firm, and is a guest at Hord's hotel.

Mr. T. H. McDaniel and John T. Lytle, the enterprising and solid stock men of Medina county, are in the city for a few days, quartered at Hord's. They report cattle and sheep in finer condition than for years, and stockmen consequently happy.

Mr. Sam S. Smith, the county clerk, and his family, have returned from Laredo. Mr. Smith is looking remarably well, and what is better, says that he feels so. He reports that Laredo is still booming, and there appears to be plenty of business and money. San Antonians are there in plenty - in fact, every third man seems to be a resident of the Alamo City.

The Evening Light - Wednesday, January 11, 1882

District Court.

In the district court to-day, Felipe Galvan, cahrged with theft of oxen, pleaded guilty. Verdict, two years in the penitentiary.

C. C. Baker, charged with assault, was fined $5.


Capt. A. E. Shepard, of Erie, Pa., who passed through our city a few days ago on a prospecting trip through Tom Green, Pecos and Presidio counties, returned yesterday. He speaks in glowing terms of the wonderful advantages of our great west, and thinks we have a great future in mining and stock industries. Mr. S. is a prominent ship owner on the lakes, and represents some lively capitalists, seeking investment in this section. He will leave in a few days in company with Mr. Gifford and other members of the Anglo Texas Mexican Mining and Smelting company, for a trip into Mexico.

Local Dots.

Mr. Kent created considerable amusement this morning by describing a class of men who swore off on the 1st of January, until they were so drunk they could swear off no longer. There are several of that kind in San Antonio.

Mr. L. Kirschvink has arrived from Austin, and will open a boot and shoe manufactory, Commerce street, next door to the LIGHT office. Boots and shoes made to order, and he says his motto is "quick sales and small profits."

The Evening Light - Friday, January 13, 1882

Local Dots.

The Rev. Father Milmo has been installed as assistant at St. Mary's church yesterday.

Pat White, an one-armed man, was this morning arested and jailed for indecent conduct.

Valentine Garcia is now on trial for horse stealing, and there appears to be a good chance of his conviction.

Mr. A. W. Gifford, of the LIGHT, left this morning with a party of capitalists, via Laredo for the mining regions of Mexico.

There were only two cases before the recorder this morning; one for vagrancy and the other for non-payment of the occupation tax.

Felix Heywood's suit on sworn account, $86, against the I. & G. N. railroad was decided by a verdict in favor of plaintiff for $81.

Mr. Peter Loiselle, the popular hotel steward has returned to Houston, and has been engaged for the new hotel which is being built there.

Messrs. Pastoriza & Brown, the live job printers of Houston, are soon to publish, for free circulation, a weekly paper after the style of our little "Suprise."

A reverend father of the Catholic church informs us that Bishop Neraz confirmed upwards of one hundred and sixty children at the San Fernando cathedral on Sunday last.

Michael Ryan, a tramp, entered Denn Richardson's house last night and was detected in overhauling the dean's property. He was caught and fined $10 this morning, with the option of serving the city for twenty days.

In the case of C. L. Hutchinson, charged with assault with intent to murder the editor of the LIGHT, Judge Adam bound the accused over in the sum of $300. In the case against the same party, on complaint of T. B. Johnson, he was bound over in a peace bond of $100.

Recorder's Court.

Before the Hon. M. G. Anderson, Recorder.

City vs. Michael Ryan, vagrancy; fined $10, or 20 days.

City vs. F. Gastringer, not paying occupation tax; dismissed by paying tax and costs.

Supposed Robbery.

This morning, between four and five, somebody entered the St. Louis boarding house (Rimbold's), removed a boarder's trunk and opened it in the yard, where it was subsequently found. As the owner is absent, it is not known whether anything has been taken from it.

District Court.

The following sentences have been passed by Judge Noonan:

John Ayers, accused of horse stealing, sentenced to nine years' imprisonment in the penitentiary.

Jesus Navarro, charged with stealing three bags of wool, sentenced to four years' imprisonment.

Accident to Mr. O'Neil.

Mr. Dunbar O'Neil, staying at the Menger, met with a serious accident last evening, mainly occasioned by the disgraceful condition of our streets. He was walking last evening from a friend's house when the rugged pavement and its muddy surface caused him to fall, and as a result of the fall the cap of his knee was broken. Dr. Hadra is in attendance, and we are all glad to hear that Mr. O'Neil is doing well as can be expected.


The child of Peter Marx is very ill.

Judge Goodrich, of Seguin, is in the city.

Capt. Wills, an Englishman of South Africa, is at the Central hotel.

Messrs. J. M. and W. M. Chase, of Dallas, are in the city on business.

Mr. J. L. Parr, engineer f the Texas and Mexican railway, is in the city.

Mr. H. W. Chapman, the cattle king of Pleasanton, is at Hord's hotel.

Mr. and Mrs. J. Y. Sanchez, of Mexico, arrived from Galveston last night.

Mr. Ben Hirchfield, the popular drummer, is looking up his customers in San Antonio.

Mr. Frank Pitzker, advance agent of the Hazel Kirk Co., is staying at the Vance hotel.

Mr. W. Clemens, a prominent merchant of New Braunfels, passed through the city last evening.

Messrs. J. P. and W. A. Staples, well known in the live stock world, are now on a visit to the Alamo city.

Mr. and Mrs. Kliefoth, who were married yesterday, stayed last night at the Menger hotel and left this morning for Austin on their bridal tour.

The Evening Light - Wednesday, January 18, 1882

The Probate Court.

In the estate of John W. Terry, deceased, report, exhibit and account of Joseph Muir, temporary administrator, was examined, found correct, and approved. Mr. Muir was ordered to pay the balance, $4,666.60 to Father Johnston, the present temporary administrator.

The report of the administratrix of the sale of property of Jacob Linn, deceased, situated on Military plaza, to B. I. Boone, agent of Schram & Co., was approved. The contestant, Ed Kotula, excepted to the ruling of the court and gave notice of appeal.

Unwarranted Reflections.

The unseemly discussion that has arisen over the effects of the deceased John W. Terry, in which the names of respectable gentlemen whose business hnor is above question have been used in a very flagrant manner by an evening contemporary, revives some past experiences in connection with the death of invalids who had money about them. It seems a dangerous thing for a monied invalid to die in our city, and we should be glad to never record the death of another stranger, since there seems such great tenacity on the part of persons, who happen to be on hand, to secure control of his effects. The poor fellow who died on Acaquia street with a $1,000 bill in his vest pocket, nearly got a woman into the penitentiary. she claimed the money as a gift from the dead man.

Now, the proper way was to take out letters of administration, and the only business of the probate judge was to select some responsible party to act as administrator. Mr. Muier was as proper a party as Father Johnson, both unobjectionable, and Mr. Muier should not have been displaced upon the showing made before Judge Smith. Reflections of an injurious and erroneous character have been made upon parties in this matter which casts a cloud upon the community. A thoughtless paragrapher's work is as hard to undo as the inexorable decree that carried por Terry beyond the reach of human aid.

Recorder's Court.

Before the Hon. M. G. Anderson, Recorder.

W. Simms', assault; fined $5.

L. P. Ragsdale, drunk; fined $5.

H. Powydexter, refusing to pay hack fare; dismissed.

Wilson McDonald, leaving team; fined $5.

In the matter of John W. Terry, Deceased.

Certain groundless statements having been made in an article relating to one John W. Terry, in which Mr. J. S. Lockwood's name was introduced, the following denials of the assertion therin made, are published by authority of the signers, Bishop Neraz and Mother St. Pierre:

San Antonio, January 18, 1882.

In reference to an article which appeared in the San Antonio Times of January 16th, I have to say that I have not seen Mr. Lockwood on business of any deceased person whatever.

John C. Neraz

Bishop of San Antonio.

San Antonio, January 18, 1882.

In reference to an article which appeared in the San Antonio Times of January 16th, I have to say that I have not seen Mr. Lockwood on business of any deceased person whatever.

Sister Saint Pierre



Mrs. Walton, of St. Louis, is a guest at Hord's hotel.

Mr. B. F. Dane, the well known stock raiser, is a guest at Hord's.

Captain Turner, of the American refrigerator car company, is in the city.

Mr. B. F. Buzzard, the catt;e king, of Missouri, is at Hord's hotel.

Messrs. William and George Wilson have arrived at the Menger from England.

Mr. W. W. Teele, of the Oakland hill ranche, is staying at the Vance hotel.

Mr. J. G. Harris, of the firm of Ross & Harris, contractors, accompanied by his wife, are in the city.

Mr. Hal L. Gosling, of the Castroville Quill, accompanied by Sheriff Ferd. Niggli, passed through the city this morning.

Mr. Udo Rhodius returned from a journey to Lavernia, Floresville and Fairview. He reports everything to be doing well except the country roads. These are in an awful state, and as a result, instead of reaching here at 2 yesterday, he arrived at 6:30 this morning.

Local Dots.

The Houston street bridge needs repair.

Dr. Bannister likes a good joke, but the spiritual one attempted on him last night at Turner Hall he did not seem to enjoy.

J. G. Stultz has completed an opera house in Laredo, and will open Saturday, January 21, for a season of one month.

Bishop Neraz, we understand, denies the accuracy of the Express item, "Entitled to Christian Burial," as far as it has reference to him.

The charge against McHutcheon for stealing a watch and $257.60 from Michael Burke, ended last night in a mistrial, the jury being unable to agree.

Professor Rote will hold an examination for teachers to fill vacancies in our public schools at his office in French's building at 9 o'clock on Friday next.

The case of Jack Hopkins, charged with stealing Mr. Van Ward's horse, is set for three o'clock, in Justice Adam's court.

Gabe Evans, alias William Evans, has been tried for theft of a watch and other articles from the Vaudeville theatre, and sentenced to two years' imprisonment.

Two colored men yesterday quarreled on Houston street and proceeded at once to settle their difference by a fight. Some severe blows were exchanged, when by-standers interfered, and then the combatants retired sadder if not wiser men.

Messrs. Eckford & Newton, on behalf of Mr. Eugene Ruiz, priosecuted a suit of forcible detainer against Mrs. G. F. Porter and husband, who were defended by Mr. Jay Minter. Ultimately the jury rendered a verdict in favor of the plaintiff.

An Englishman yesterday engaged a hack to drive himself and wife into the city, for which he was charged a quarter. On returning he engaged a second hack, which charged him a quarter for each person, as entitled by law. This he refused to pay, until charged at the recorder's court, because he believed it to be an imposition. He was, of course, dismissed on payment of the fare and costs.

The Evening Light - Wednesday, January 25, 1882

The Laredo Postoffice Robbery.

Dionicio Garcia, a boy apparanetly about fifteen, was brought before United State Commissioner Paschal, charged with having robbed the mail at the Laredo postoffice. He pleaded guilty and made confession, implicating Fernando Garcia, of the Laredo Time Office, as the instigator of the crime. He was ultimately committed to jail to await his trial at the next term of the federal court. IN default of $5,000 bond, Fernando Garcia has been arrested and will shortly be brought up for examination.

Dionicio Garcia has a very youthful appearance, but his features do not represent a high order of intelligence. Gambling and loose conduct are said to have occasioned his disgrace.

Harness Stealing.

We have heard of several cases of harness stealing lately, which induces the belief that it is as regular an employment as chicken-stealing - perhaps carried on by the same firm. Sheriff McCall is out a new set of ambulance harness, stolen from his premises some days ago. This morning, we were informed that, Mr. John L. Meaders left his wagon and harness in Moke's camp yard, last night, and this morning is minus his harness. Harness is a different bird to a chicken - it can't be eaten or picked, and it ought to be found by the police.

Local Dots.

Mr. W. H. Kerr has taken out a building permit for a lumber addition to a house noth side of San Fernando.

Mattie Mills, a mulatto, now in jail for robbing a young German of $56, will be examined by Justice Afam this afternoon.

Justice Adam will give Jim Lacy an examination this afternoon. He is charged with concealing stolen property.

The county clerk issued licesnses last evening for the marriage of Manuel Hernandez to Carmen de Olla, and William Graham (col.) to Ellen Hopkins (col.).

Captain Phil Shardein has returned, bringing with him F. Garcia, charged with complicity in the robbery of the Laredo postoffice. Garcia denies all knowledge of the affair.

The examination for school teachers vacancies have had the following results: There were seven competetitors; Miss Alvine Klocke passed first class. Miss Brewster and Miss Steele, second class, and the remaining four withdrew. It is expected that the three ladies named will be appointed.

Mr. Martin Braden was made a happy father again by the presentation of a 11 pound girl from his wife. Both mother and daughter are doing well, we are pleased to state. Martin "set em up" to the boys on the happy event.

Death's Doings.

On the 23d inst., in the first ward - Mrs. M. M. Shelton, aged 40 years; consumption.

On the 24th inst., in the fourth ward - Madame Sophie Rosalie Desmasier, aged 83 years; apoplexy.

On the 25th inst., in the second ward - Jessie Patten, aged 30 years; consumption.

Recorder's Court.

Before the Hon. M. G. Anderson, Recorder.

Pat King, drunk on street; fined $5.

Florantine Mendez, drunk on street; fined $5.00.

Domingo Garcia, drunk on street; fined $5.

Walter Meagall, drawing knife; continued for jury trial.

The Shook Case.

The case of John R. Shook, Esq., who was charged with an aggravated assault upon W. C. Peters at the Alamo ice house, came before the district court yesterday. From the facts adduced, it appears that Mr. Shook's son and another boy were playing in the ice house and caused Mr. Peters some annoyance. He put them out, and Mr. Shook being told that his son had been kicked out and thrashed, went to the ice house to inquire the cause. Mr. Peters told him and admittd that he had put out young Shook but denied that he had kicked or hurt him. Mr. Shook who was excited, then asked if he undertook to correct his boy, on which Mr. Peters said yes, under such circumstances, whereupon Mr. Shook struck Mr. Peters over the head with a riding whip he carried, injuring him very much. The jury retired last evening, and at the time we write are "hung." From what we can learn there does not appear to be much chance of their agreement upo a verdict.

The Laredo Stage Robbery.

The two men, Stonebreaker and Doaty, were again before Commissioner Paschal, charged with the robbery of the Laredo stage. Drake, who is also charged, was absent, he being to ill to attend.

After some discussion it was decided that Captain Oglesby's testimony as to the confession where the property was secreted must be admitted.

Captain Oglesby was therefore called, and deposed that i the course of his conversation with Stonebreaker he sdmitted that he, Doaty, and Drake had robbed the Laredo state, and that the property would be found at the head of the Devil's river. He there found the three watches and chains produced. These formed parts of the proceeds taken from the passengers. Stonebreaker gave an account of their movements after the robbery. Doaty was arrested, but allowed to remain on parole at home because his mother and sister were sick. He made no attempt to run away. No guard was placed over him. If he had tried to have escaped he did not think he could have done so. He promised Stonebreaker that he would use his influence to get his punishment made as light as possible.

The proceedings were then adjourned.

R. McHutcheon is now before the district court on a charge of theft.

A marriage license was issued by the county clerk this morning for the union of William Hardy and Mary F. Shields.

Contributed by Jan Cortez.